Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Its been awhile! Update

Well, first I'll briefly explain my absense. I had originally been under the assumption that I was following the DPS911 release schedule (which is once every 2 weeks), turns out after talking to Dave i was actually following the DPS909 release schedule which was a huge relief. Because of my earlier assumption I had already done alot of work on Eclipse and had put myself ahead of the rest of the class, so I decided to leave it for a couple of weeks and focus on other courses.

Now that the rest of the class is around where I am, I feel it's time to get back to work on this thing. Currently the objective is to find source code thats relevant to our bug. If you've read my post from a few weeks back you'll know that I thought that I had found some relevant code but I couldn't verify this because I had problems getting the WSDL editor to load. I found out that it was because the code I was checking out in the HEAD tree inside the CVS repo wasn't matched up with the version of WTP I was running, so I checked out code from an older tree, problem solved.

Next I needed to test whether the "removeButton" Button was the same as the Button I was looking to change. I added a line of code to set the removeButton's text to "Test".

Next I ran my Eclipse Application. Looking at the WSDL editor, my button had it's text changed to Test. Success!

However, there was a slight problem. This removeButton was referenced only one time in the W11ExtensionsSection.java file that I was working in. This basically told me that this wasn't the file I wanted to make my changes in.

Fortunately for me, I able to attend a presentation by IBM's Angel Vera last week. During the presentation, Mr. Vera showed us some techniques that we could use to find code using the "Search" feature of Eclipse. Using this, I searched for "removeButton" within the org.eclipse.wst.wsdl and org.eclipse.wst.wsdl.ui packages. To my suprise, the only reference to removeButton was the one that I had already identified, meaning that this Button was declared in a different package. Fortunately, this package was easy to identify. I simply had to mouse over the removeButton reference inside the code and it led me to the org.eclipse.wst.xsd.ui package. I checked this package out and ran a search on it, and found many references to the removeButton, mainly in 2 files (AddExtensionsComponentDialog.java, AbstractExtensionsSection.java). I now realize that I am probably going to have to make changes within one of these 2 files or maybe even both in order to fix my bug.

So, that's currently where I stand. I know where I need to change things, but I don't know yet what changes I need to make. I feel confident that I'll be able to figure things out.