Wednesday, November 12, 2008

0.2 Release - Lots of Progress

Firstly, to add to my last post I decided to set my deliverable for 0.2

  • Hack to index the pdb files

  • Serve the pdb files over my server and make sure they successfully retrieve source code from hgweb

Well, I'm happy to report that I've managed to accomplish the first of these tasks. A big thank you to lsblakk and ted for their help.

After reading up on Python, I came to understand a lot more about how works.

Basically, it parses out a list of source files from each .sym file, writes a .stream file using the list of source files and calls pdbstr to write the data block to the pdb files.

Fortunately for me, lsblakk's previous modifications to to make it work with CVS gave me all of the code I needed. All that was required from me was to make some slight changes.

Firstly, I needed to change the SourceIndex() method to write my data block instead of the one used previously for CVS. My new method is listed below:

def SourceIndex(fileStream, outputPath, hg_root):
"""Takes a list of files, writes info to a data block in a .stream file"""
# Creates a file in the mozilla\objdir to be used for source indexing
# Create the srcsrv data block that indexes the pdb file
result = True
pdbStreamFile = open(outputPath, "w")
pdbStreamFile.write('''SRCSRV: ini ------------------------------------------------\r\nVERSION=2\r\nINDEXVERSION=2\r\nVERCTRL=http\r\nSRCSRV: variables ------------------------------------------\r\nHGSERVER=''')
# pdbStreamFile.write(hg_root)
pdbStreamFile.write('''\r\nSRCSRVVERCTRL=http\r\nHTTP_EXTRACT_TARGET=%hgserver%/index.cgi/raw-file/%var3%/%var2%\r\nSRCSRVTRG=%http_extract_target%\r\nSRCSRVCMD=\r\nSRCSRV: source files ---------------------------------------\r\n''')
pdbStreamFile.write(fileStream) # can't do string interpolation because the source server also uses this and so there are % in the above
pdbStreamFile.write("SRCSRV: end ------------------------------------------------\r\n\n")
return result

Secondly, I simply needed to change the ProcessFile method inside of the Dumper class to look for hg files instead of cvs files. So from:

if filename.startswith("cvs"):


if filename.startswith("hg"):

Like I said, no crazy coding required.

I ran into problems when trying to run 'make buildsymbols'. For some reason empty pdb files were being created, so I concluded that wasn't running properly. I eventually discovered that the makefile wasn't running using the -i flag. This flag is what tells to add source file information to the pdb files.

I discovered that there was actually code in the makefile to add this flag:


So, the reason that the pdb files were empty was because PDBSTR_PATH wasn't being set, so I simply added it to my environment variables. After that, voila! The pdb files were successfully indexed upon creation.

My next step is to serve these pdb files from a server and make sure that the source files are being retrieved from hgweb. I don't think I can do this with a localhost server because the debugger will find my local source files before it tries to look on hgweb. So, I need to find a place to serve my pdb files (I would like to find a remote server to do it so that I can maybe offer a way for people to test it).

No comments: